Search Engine Studio Technical Requirements
Below there is a list of what you need in order to install and use the Search Engine Studio application:
- One of the operating systems listed below:
- Windows 98/ME
- Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 6 or later
- Windows 2000/XP
- Windows 2003
- Windows Vista/7
- At least 100 MB of RAM memory available for the application. Note that the amount of required memory depends on the number and size of the documents you are indexing.
- Enough free disk space for storing temporary search data during indexing and saving/loading Search Engine Studio documents. Required disk space depends on a number and size of the documents that you are indexing. See the table below for sample evaluation of free disk space requirements:
- Connection to the Internet for indexing online documents and automatic uploading of search engine files.
- Processor, memory, hard disk speed: the faster the computer the less time the indexing process takes. See the table below for sample indexing times. Note that these samples were made on locally stored documents (when indexing online web site downloading time also matters).
The test were made on Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 MHz machine, with 1 GB RAM, hard disk 7200 rpm.
|Number and size of documents (HTML files)||Number and size of documents (HTML files)|
|2000 documents, 22 KB each||at least 350 MB|
|10,000 documents, 22 KB each||at least 2 GB|
|50,000 documents, 22 KB each||at least 8 GB|
|100,000 documents, 22 KB each||at least 16 GB|
|Number and size of documents (HTML files)||Indexing time|
|2000 documents, 22 KB each||about 3 minutes|
|5,000 documents, 22 KB each||7 minutes|
|10,000 documents, 22 KB each||15 minutes|
|50,000 documents, 22 KB each||1 hour 45 minutes|
|100,000 documents, 22 KB each||3 hours 50 minutes|
Below is the list of requirements for machine running the search engine generated by Search Engine Studio:
- For PHP based search engine: a server supporting PHP version 4 or higher.
- For CGI based search engine: a server supporting BINARY CGI scripts.
- For Java servlet based search engine: a Java Web Server supporting servlets.
- For an offline search: the end-user of the offline search engine needs a browser supporting ActiveX (IE on Windows) or Java Environment installed on their machine.